Monday, October 17, 2011

Awkard: Affectionate Animations

We've all experienced awkward moments.  Everyone falls silent and the carpet design is suddenly incredibly interesting.  Cue the faint cough.

Today, the culprit of vexatious situations is something that, for some reason, really bothers me to no end.  It is:  animations kissing.

Oh God, why?

 
Maybe it's the unnatural image of, well, images showing affection.  Perhaps it's that a kiss is such a uniquely human thing that it cannot be recreated by any illustrator.  And yet, they keep on trying and trying...

Make it stop.

 
Look at the above picture again.  First, I'm sorry.  Second, what's up with his arm?  Is it dislocated? because it looks stuck like the shoulder is twisted in an odd fashion, and the elbow is almost bending backwards.  Third, she looks like she's twisting his neck, not cupping his jaw (or whatever's supposed to be happening, I can't tell).  Keep in mind, I'm not being blindly critical here--this still is from one of my all-time favorite games:  Mass Effect.  I love the characters and their relationships, romantic and otherwise, but this moment just doesn't look natural.

I know, I know, I shouldn't expect them to be perfect, but as I said, a kiss is a very human thing; if it doesn't look like what people do, it's going to be off.  This is why, as you may notice, most animators don't draw the faces in clear view--it's fairly difficult to convey emotion on something lifeless.

Now, why do they do it?  My assumption is that they feel that a kiss acts as a catalyst for progression of a relationship or even a whole story.  And I suppose just saying two people kissed would come across as odd, but why must it look so cringe-worthy and repulsive?

"Pa, why you eatin' Momma's eye?"


Stay colorful,
                     Meimei

No comments:

Post a Comment