Monday, January 9, 2012

Oblivion

Life punches you in the face with its lessons whether you like it or not.  Doesn't matter when or where, experiences eventually culminate to form practical bits of wisdom.

A penny saved is a penny earned, b*tch.


Playing video games is typically not a way I expected to learn something about myself, but after reading some stuff about revealed personality traits, I decided to take a look at myself after playing Elder Scrolls IV:  Oblivion.

Sir Nerdwick of Antlerhead

1.  I view people as inconveniences
There was a point in the game where you have to close an Oblivion gate (a gate to Hell, essentially) in order to save a certain city from the demons pouring out of it, thereby gaining the support of the city's leader.  There's a catch though; the leader's son--we'll call him Suicidal Dumbass--ran into the gate with his friends from the club he made up his group of "Knights".  I didn't really care for rescuing him, until his dad promised good stuff if he came back alive; and if I've learned anything from full sized candy bars on Halloween, it's that rich people give out good stuff.

Get that bite-sized crap out of here.

I went through the gate and found Suicidal Dumbass and his one friend--he tells me all the rest died (surprise).  We have to travel to the main tower and destroy the gate so we can leave, but Suicidal Dumbass has his own battle plans.  By battle plans, I mean he runs head on with his friend without waiting for me to help him.  I did try to keep him alive, but as we got closer to the end, they both fell in battle.  The very first thing I thought?  Finally!

Then I danced upon their not-yet-dug graves.

They were cumbersome to me, like two toddlers with swords that I wasn't getting paid to watch.  After I celebrated their deaths, I respectfully dug through their remains, took their money, and closed the gate myself.  Didn't care about how his father would handle the death of his only son, or what would happen to the city now that its extra defense would be gone.  They were burdens to me, nothing more.

2.  I would rather die than take crap from people.
I was riding along a road to get to some castle, when some thugs stopped me.  "Pay up, or else."  When I had $25,000 on me and they were asking for $100, it seemed more like a donation than a mugging.  However, there was no way I could let them take my money or look at their smirking faces as I rode away.  Now matter how much of a disadvantage I was at, I chose to fight, spending some valuable healing resources in the process--things that cost over $100.  Why do it, then?  Because there is no way I am going to let someone take advantage of me, even if they are fictional.

Another case would be when I accidentally stole something in a market (trust me, it's possible) and the police force jumped on me like they'd found the medieval Adolf Hitler.  This was early in the game, so I had no money to pay my bail.  Upon telling the soldier I'd cooperate, he smiled and said, "That's too bad.  I was hoping you'd resist arrest."  I promptly reloaded my game, stole the same thing, and resisted.

Loot at that stupid, mocking face of his.

I lost (there were literally coming from all parts of the city), and had to reload my game--careful not to steal anything--but at least I didn't have to look at some cop's smug expression.  I would rather die a thousand video game deaths than take that.

3.  I'm a poacher.
Imagine riding along on your horse, when, oh no! the battle music starts playing.  Enemies must be nearby.  Wait, no worries bro, it's just a crab trying to pinch the leg of your horse.  You could easily outrun it, however, it did scare you into thinking there were more bandits chasing after you, and you've already got off your horse to fight.  What do you do?

What did I do?

I drew my sword and killed the crab.  You know what I did after that?  I went running down the coast line and killed every crab I could find.  I was mad at those stupid things getting in my way all the time, and I snapped.

Revenge is a dish best served in the carcass of your enemy.

I didn't even take the sort-of valuable crab meat off of them--that wasn't the reason for the slaughter.  I wouldn't have done that to in-game people; that'd be psychotic.  No, I just went on a crab-killing spree because a video game had broken me mentally.  No big deal.




Video games are therapeutic.  Yeah, that's why I play them for hours on end...therapeutic...


Stay colorful,
                     Meimei

No comments:

Post a Comment